Fire Rescue Chief
Public Safety Emergency Manager
1769 E. Moody Blvd. Bldg #3
Bunnell, Florida 32110
Non Emergency 24 Hour
Sheriff's 911 Center
The Flight Operations Division is responsible for the safe and efficient operation of the County's FireFlight helicopter.FireFlight is an American Eurocopter AS350B3 AStar helicopter purchased in January 2002 with Landfill Bond monies which were designated for countywide fire suppression. The aircraft has a top speed of 150 mph, a range of 430 miles, and a seating capacity of one pilot and five passengers. FireFlight serves multiple functions for Flagler County:
- Fire Suppression. FireFlight is Flagler County's first line of defense against wildfires starting in remote and difficult to access areas of the County. FireFlight is able to reach any area of the County in under 15 minutes with a 210 gallon water bucket to quickly suppress and slow a fire before it can potentially build into an out of control wildfire similar to the wildfires of 1985 and 1998.
Click here to see a national magazine article on FireFlight.
- Emergency Medical Transports. FireFlight is a State Certified Air Ambulance and responds directly to trauma related accident scenes with a Flight Paramedic. Patients are quickly loaded into the helicopter and flown to the nearest appropriate hospital reducing the transport time by at least half compared to ground ambulances.
- Law Enforcement Support. FireFlight provides aerial support to the Flagler County Sheriff's Office, as well as other state, county, and city law enforcement agencies. FireFlight is equipped with the latest hi-tech devices including a FLIR infrared camera and a 30,000,000 candle power NightSun spot light. The crewmembers are equipped with night vision goggles.
- Search and Rescue. FireFlight is equipped and ready to assist for most search and rescue missions that might be requested. In addition to the FLIR, NightSun and night vision goggles, FireFlight has an airborne deployable 4-man life raft, rescue basket and we are currently developing a short-haul rescue program that utilizes a 100 foot line under the helicopter with a rescuer on the end.
- Adjacent County Support. FireFlight provides mutual aid to our surrounding neighbors in the region.
NOTICE: Under Florida law, e-mail addresses are public records. If you do not want your e-mail address released in response to a public records request,do not send electronic mail to this entity. Instead, contact this office by phone or in writing.